View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #525
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Japan
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

I'm sure I've contributed to this thread at some point, but here is my post for 2018. Most are mine. A few are friends.

You automatically recognise when you see the older version of 気 written on a book (氣).
Your son and you both have a day off, so you take him to Aikido instead of to the park.
Your son does ikkyo to you when playing naturally.
You have mats in your living room instead of carpet.
Whenever you're standing, you check your posture, "extend ki" ("remove the slack") and start doing subtle exercises.
You have to avoid doing Aiki Age on anyone who shakes your hand because it has become automatic.
You're jealous of the guy who goes to 17 Aikido classes a week because you can only go to to 5 or 6.
You go to 17 Aikido classes a week.
Your very tiny Aikido-practicing daughter is bullied at elementary school. She beats the crap out of the bullies and when the teachers try and get her off them, they are physically unable to.
Your 5yo son is better at kokyu-ho than most of the teenagers who have been practicing since before he was born are.

Naturally having something useful to say is like natural responses during training: It takes much practice.