View Single Post
Old 12-06-2002, 09:11 AM   #33
eric carpenter

Dojo: hagakure
United Kingdom
response

thats it in a nut shell ,you just react,if you think about it ,its too late,i think thats what training is all about,reaction due to sensitivity

you train your body to react,instinctivly,youll know how much force to use because youll know the intent of your assailant,if two guys with knives burgal your home youll react differently to a drunk throwing a punch.

i had one bad experience beore i was trained,four guys picked a fight outside a pub,i fought off two of them but when i went to help my friend,everything went black.

its always been the thing that motivates my training how would i do now,what would i do ,how would i react.

if a drunk pushes you you may react with a level one response,someone pulls a knife you might reactt with a level seven,this type of grading of response i thought was good.

ec
Quote:
Ian Dodkins (ian) wrote:
...as a quick example, in a night club a large man was pushing people, hoping to get a response. Many people did not respond, and just walked off. However one person turned round to repreimand the bloke; as the bloke was about to respond with a punch, I couldn't help myself and just slipped in, with an irimi-nage.

At the end of the day you just do what you do in these types of situations - I didn' think, I just acted. The fact is, I'd spent years training to respond when someone throws a punch. Whatever we 'say' we will do, if we are practising aikido safely, we are actually practising to be able to deal with people in quite a non-aggressive manner. Although I have leant how to kill people, I do not practise that, and therefore I would need to bring my concious mind on-line if I was to kill - better this than the other way around.

Ian