View Single Post
Old 12-04-2002, 11:45 PM   #12
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Quote:
Edward Karaa (Edward) wrote:
It seems that the only man in the world who has seen all this is Mr. Sagawa. One would doubt his motives, and actually I can find some such as dojo rivalry, Osensei being known for being Takeda's best student (according to Takeda's son and Kondo's interviews), jealousy for the fame that Osensei has made to himself...etc. Actually I have heard this guy's name twice in my life, and both times it was related to what he says about Osensei. He doesn't seem to be famous for his martial arts abilities, at least not outside of Japan. I wonder if they were all three alone in the dojo, and how come if there were other people present, they choose to have the decency and the good manners not to talk about it, while Mr. Sagawa chose to brag about it. I am not saying the related story is not true. I just doubt it, but even if it was, there is no shame in having cried out of pain, or not being able to move someone. Osensei's genius was not in being the strongest man in Japan, as some people like to believe. It is of having created modern aikido, in they same league as Kano and Funakoshi, and the international success it has become.
The crying event in question was on the occasion of M. Ueshiba's introduction to S. Takeda, and so far as I know, they were more or less alone in the dojo (Takeda, Sagawa, and Ueshiba, but Yoshida Kotaro was probably there too) . Sagawa is well known for his martial arts abilities in Japan, but he went well out of the way to avoid fame and publicity - I know of one instance where even Kondo couldn't get in to see him, his dojo was so completely closed. Tokimune actually designated him as the 36th soke of Daito-ryu and Sokaku Takeda's successor in 1954, but he gave the title and position back to Tokimune. IMO, doesn't seem the type to be jealous of someone else's fame.

Were the stories true? Well, there's no proof, of course, but my impression of the text (which is available on Amazon, by the way) was that it had the ring of authenticity. FWIW, I thought that it was refreshing to read something that portrayed M. Ueshiba in a more human (and fallible) light rather than the normal fair, which was mostly written by his (somewhat less than objective) followers.

Best,

Chris