View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States
Re: YouTube: Jenny Flower: Ai hamni iriminage drop down

Flowers sensei does the movement well.

I have done this before with Peter Bernath. I've come to think of it as a type of henkawaza - nage is doing an ushiro ate and uke knocks nage off balance. It is important that we be able to cleanly transition between our tachiwaza and suwariwaza, and this is a valid practice. Not a favorite after some knee issues.

If I was dropping to throw, these days I would rather time it to use uke as a cushion for my knees. In Eli Yoshikawa's Musashi, he describes someone being thrown like this and the skull shattering on a rock on the ground. That's maybe closer to the real application.

I tend to not emphasize this pin. I use two hands to control one of uke's limbs. I cannot disengage from uke without first breaking the arm or choking uke or damaging the neck in some way. Many of our face up pins seem to be about getting in a kill shot rather than a control? But very classical.

In FB land someone said it depended on uke holding on - I have seen this done with nage holding the elbow or holding in a gyaku kotegaeshi grip or a version of sankyo. The shoulder gets damaged if nage doesn't let go.

It is a very clean, solid, smooth demo. I had a friend in Greece last year, I'll have to ask if he trained with her.