View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 06:02 PM   #28
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: Unlearning Bad Habits

Quote:
Cassia Rose Heatley wrote: View Post
That still happens so far on?
haha. When I told you I totally relearned tenkan a few years ago, I was 2 dan at the time. I suspect that I'll have to totally re-work something else in the near future.

Quote:

You make a great point about at home practice, though unfortunately many of the things I need to work on either need to be guided by someone more experienced - who knows what I'm doing wrong and how to correct - or are not so easily done at home safely (like ukemi).
You can practice ukemi at home. Just do it low, practicing the shape rather than doing it from standing.

Quote:
One of the things I am trying to work on is fluidity as you mentioned, at least at first it is very first movement, irimi tenkan, next movement, step back, third movement move arms/hands, fourth movement move forward. Speed has been a hurdle, I love fast techniques so often I find myself "rushing" and it makes me careless, I sacrifice my balance/position/flow to perform in a way that gives a great rush when it works - and comes off awkward and jarring when it doesn't. So slowing down, trying to work on making everything flow together, is something I try to remind myself of from time to time.
I'm currently teaching the beginners class at my dojo. I have a few students that I would like to get more fluid. They have been training for about 2 years. Before that point, don't even think about it.