View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #249
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
Re: Are you invincible if you possess Aiki?

Quote:
Alec Corper wrote: View Post
We need to learn from a non- competitive model. I would only suggest that the alternative is not necessarily a "collusive" model. I think true cooperation is expressed in loving restistance to each others' flaws, wether technical or personal.
From a technical standpoint resistance should be both logical and relative to the experience of one's partner. Loving resistance to someone's personal flaws... I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. I try to accept where my partners are at any given moment and move forward from that point. Since an absence of personal flaws isn't part of my makeup, I do my best not to be judgemental of others.

Quote:
All too often people say one thing and mean another, we all know this.
I don't know if we mean the same things even when we agree, let alone when we disagree.
It is ironic that the written word, which should be a straight forward form of communication, is so often confoundedly confusing. Part of the problem may be that people read thru their own personal, socially conditioned and cultural filters which can lead to differences in interpretation of the same sentence.

Quote:
Unfortunately that is why IHTBF, as annoying as that may be.
When discussing the subtleties of aiki or mind/body coordination or whatever one wants to call it, it really is necessary to feel what's going on. I don't see that as unfortunate, it's just a fact of life. Does make discussing it via an internet forum a trifle difficult though.

Quote:
I am not always sure if when I am trying to study and practice aiki I am succeeding, there is as much potential for self delusion as anything else. That's why I need somebody to loan me their sincere and correct resistance, to help me try to shed delusion.
Makes sense.

Quote:
For me this applies to all, from Shihan to beginner, in any art. So yes, today "I suck", but I hope a little less than yesterday. It keeps be from becoming inflated or satisfied.
I tend to agree with Mary about the "I suck" phrase. Words matter even when used in jest or tongue in cheek. The negative image invoked by that phrase will work its way into one's psyche and adversely affect internal posture. To maintain my beginner's mind I prefer to think of myself as being always in the question. Knowing I'll never "arrive" is enough to keep both my feet on the ground and always looking to peel back the next layer of the aikido onion to see what else there is to learn.

Ron