View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 05:23 AM   #11
sorokod
United Kingdom
Re: Injuries in aikido

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
Just to expand on that - in a training environment where one partner effectively lends his body to the other it is the responsibility of the borrower to understand the level of his partner and not cause damage. Do other wise, no matter what the art, and you soon run out of partners.
Partners enter training with an understanding of what the boundaries (and when there is misunderstanding of the understanding :-) bad things happen) are. I think that the responsibility to keep things safe is lies with both partners and this needs to be done while maintaining useful level of intensity - a tricky proposition to be sure.

Quote:
In application the actual meaning of do no harm is open to interpretation. I doubt most consider this to mean laying the person down on a feather bed to soothing music. I prefer that if the aggressor can eventually get up, walk away and consider the error of his ways - that would be closer to the original idea.
I would prefer that too but in my opinion making this the centrepiece of the discipline is a case of the tail wagging the dog. A fine and a desirable tail, but tail never the less. As you find yourself in a conflict and choose or unable to avoid the fight, the dog is denying the opponent his objective.