View Single Post
Old 12-02-2002, 08:55 PM   #2
Kevin Wilbanks
When you are doing Aikido, you will not be wrestling with your ukes. To an extent, the whole point of Aikido is avoiding that kind of muscular struggle. The idea is to do this by unbalancing uke through timing, placement, and use of mechanical advantage.

Pressure points can be important if you are talking about atemi to vulnerable targets like eyes, throat, groin, etc... However, if you're talking about gaining some kind of svengali-like power over people by touching them in secret points outlined on an ancient accupunture chart, I think you're talking about a fantasy, and something that is certainly not an essential part of most Aikido curricula. Even if pushing on such points can be shown to have certain effects on people under controlled circumstances, I find the idea that one would be able to reliably access them during a high speed, high force encounter a little outlandish... and I'm not even talking about a "real" fight.

In the long run, small size should not be an impediment to successful Aikido practice. If you are a beginner, and cannot learn the techniques because your partners are resisting, they are at fault. Given the situation, this is poor ukemi. Talk to your sensei.