View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #18
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
Re: A defense of Aiki

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
Kinda. Part of what you said also was that the training of whole body movement was not exclusive of co-dependent movement. While on some small level of commonality, that may be true, I am being a little more firm here by saying that if you are moving with dependence on your partner's interaction, then you are not moving correct. Join center is false.
Let me grab my whole quote since plainly I'm not communicating my view of the relationship between aiki and aikido very well. I wrote: "Whole body movement with aiki as a discipline is indeed not predicated on anything "to do with your partner, or connecting centers, or being affected by an opponent." However the practice of Aikido is the application of aiki driven whole body movement to situations involving oneself and at least one other person. What you're referring to above relates to the application of Aikido, not the cultivation of aiki."

Let me try to clear up what I mean by drawing on your prior reference to calculus. Calculus may be studied independently of any real world situations to which it may apply, such as finding the area under a curve by solving a definite integral of the curve's function over a given domain.

Likewise aiki may be studied and trained independently of any real world situations to which it may apply such as the execution of aikido technique. Aiki is applicable to just about any physical activity you care to think of. It's not the sole province of martial arts practice.

So the second sentence of my quote refers to the application of aiki in an aikido setting where partnered practice is the norm. I am saying that the training of whole body movement can be exclusive of co-dependent movement.

Quote:
Sensei so-and-so said this or that. Great, where has sensei been to teach this stuff?
When I wrote that Sensei was showing us this stuff 40 years ago "showing" appears to have been a poor choice of words. He was teaching this stuff to us 40 years ago. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Why can I count on two hands the number of IP heavyweights in aikido?
Seriously Jon, in your years of training how many of the million or so aikido practitioners have you actually had the opportunity to train with and feel? I'm guessing it's a pretty small, statistically insignificant number. Could be wrong about that though, you never know.

Quote:
But the truth of the situation is that aikido has some real problems in the fighting world.
And if improving the image of aikido in the fighting world is your thing then go for it. Not my focus though.

Quote:
By the way, you are being a good sport and I appreciate the dialog.
Yeah, well I don't have any axes to grind or agendas to push. I know full well that my views on aiki aren't well met by the "faithful"; as evidenced by my being pilloried over on the other thread, for agreeing with you no less.

Appreciate your taking the time to air your views.

Ron