Thread: The Way of Aiki
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #169
GovernorSilver
Re: The Way of Aiki

Quote:
Hilary Heinmets wrote: View Post
Governor Silver, review what you were taught relative to solo exercises. Specifically pulling silk or what every Sigman calls his tendon and fascia isometrics. Just do them, they don't take much time and they really do help you build resilient structure in your body. Yes, go ahead and join others, but do not let the absence of partners for partner training hinder your solo work. Partner training helps you validate some of your body skills, but is the actual solo training, on a regular basis, that will change your body. And yes go see Dan if you have a chance. Building an aiki body early in your aikido journey should help immensely in the expression of your art.
Thanks! I've been digging around and reviewing written info and videos - the older one on Youtube and the newer ones on Vimeo. I see some changes/updates have been made, including new terminology/references like "the suit" that are unfamiliar to me. This the training plan I've pieced together, borrowing from one of Mike's posts:

1. Learn and develop jin skills
I believe this was simply standing and grounding a partner's push/pull. Solo practice is possible by pushing against a wall, with attention to ground path from foot to the hand/elbow/whatever is contacting the wall.

2. Then begin practicing and coordinating body-winding skills with reverse breathing, dantian, and so on.
I found a video on reverse breathing, then another one on reserve-breathing with arms extended, for feeling the pull on the front or the back of the body. So I'll start with those. I also found a couple of videos teaching basic opening and closing and basic "arm waving" silk reeling.

3. Begin strengthening the winding and dantian skills via some exercises like Cando Flexbar, pole-shaking, and so on.
I ordered a Cando Twist Bend Shake bar. I'll focus more on Steps 1 and 2 first of course.

I did contact Budd Yuhasz, who informed me there is a dojo in MD that trains under his Taikyoku Budo. I"ll check them out. I'll also look for opportunities to train w/ Dan or somebody who has trained with him.