View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #32
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia
Re: "Sly's combative concepts"

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
Sure, but isn't the whole idea to avoid such lapses of attention?
Yes, but that doesn't mean that you develop biological resistance to such situations. Like i said, even in the old days warriors where killed in ambushes.

Quote:
If you're managing distance and body positioning, then by definition you're not "careless" and "unaware."
Neither did i say that. What i said was that those are some pointers which again don't have to actually make a difference but can come in handy.

Quote:
And ikkyo absolutely is not going to be available to defend against a true sucker punch that you don't see coming. You throw your hands up in a "flinch" reaction and the attack drives right through them.
Like i said, some techniques, like Ikkyo, are always available. The fact is that you can't defend yourself against a sucker punch but you can defend yourself in the aftermath if the attacker doesn't simply wan't to hit and run (or hit, steal and run). Also raising your hands can indeed prevent your attacker from landing a second and third punch and help you create distance from him/her by landing a couple of punches of you own or by simply pushing them away. I know this from experience.