View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #463
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Quote:
Rod Lansangan wrote: View Post
Osvaldo Alves was Sergio Penhas instructor in Judo before Sergio's transition to BJJ.
On the site it says that Penha trained in Judo and BJJ simultaneously, which actually confirms my previous post that BJJ is a Judo, Sambo, wrestling and what-not.

Quote:
Tomiki Aikido is one of the Aikido style that do sparring.
Yes, i know that. Unfortunately many techniques these days are not allowed in competitions.

Quote:
Rickson Gracie quoted: "If size matters, then the elephant will be the king of the jungle". He proved he's right by fighting some of the best fighters out there and submitting them in BJJ.
Rickson fought only one guy that can considered a "good" fighter, that was Masakatsu Funaki, under special rules.

Quote:
To the OP: Train in BJJ also so that you'll know what to do when challenged by a BJJ practitioner. Most of the BJJ Universities or Academies don't allow rudeness or egoistic practitioners. They kick-out airheads and bully people instantly off the mats and out of the Academy when they see one. Believe me as I've seen a lot of them.
I agree, cross training is a good idea, that's how arts good developed in the first place.

Quote:
In Aikido we train mostly in pre-set techniques and you know what's coming up at you. Like all muscle memory? In real fights the uke will not leave his hands in front of you after he threw a punch. You won't see those shomenuchi and yokomenuchi just like what you do in the dojo. You will also see a different types of katadori and katatedori from a trained martial artist of different styles.
On higher levels of Aikido training, 3 kyu and higher, hands aren't supposed to be left out either. The intensity of training should be gradually increased.

Quote:
In BJJ we train and roll on the mats as if we are playing chess. We have to solve the puzzles and we have to be at least one move ahead of the opponents. It's not muscle memory and it's not pre-sets, but solving problems or formula.
Yes it is, everything is muscle memory or in other words a reflex. That's the whole point for the repetition of techniques, positions, transitions, strategies etc.