View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 09:15 PM   #460
Cynrod
United_States
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Quote:
Igor Vojnović wrote: View Post
It's always been a fusion of Judo, Sambo, wrestling and what-not. Judo is a fusion of jujutsu techniques, wrestling and Sumo techniques. It's only normal for BJJ practitioners to add elements from other arts. The Gracie family members where taught Judo and many of them had black belts in Judo, Sambo and other martial arts. From what i recall Rickson Gracie has black belts, besides BJJ, in Judo, Sambo, Aikido and also has trained in various styles of wrestling. Let's not forget about people like Osvaldo Alves who openly states how much Judo has helped broaden his knowledge of BJJ.

http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighter...-facts-and-bio

That's why Aikido people should practice and spar much more diligently, they could learn a lot more and achieve faster progress. that would help them get a better understanding of movements, techniques and the rest.
Osvaldo Alves was Sergio Penhas instructor in Judo before Sergio's transition to BJJ.

Tomiki Aikido is one of the Aikido style that do sparring.

Rickson Gracie quoted: "If size matters, then the elephant will be the king of the jungle". He proved he's right by fighting some of the best fighters out there and submitting them in BJJ.

To the OP: Train in BJJ also so that you'll know what to do when challenged by a BJJ practitioner. Most of the BJJ Universities or Academies don't allow rudeness or egoistic practitioners. They kick-out airheads and bully people instantly off the mats and out of the Academy when they see one. Believe me as I've seen a lot of them.

In Aikido we train mostly in pre-set techniques and you know what's coming up at you. Like all muscle memory? In real fights the uke will not leave his hands in front of you after he threw a punch. You won't see those shomenuchi and yokomenuchi just like what you do in the dojo. You will also see a different types of katadori and katatedori from a trained martial artist of different styles.

In BJJ we train and roll on the mats as if we are playing chess. We have to solve the puzzles and we have to be at least one move ahead of the opponents. It's not muscle memory and it's not pre-sets, but solving problems or formula.

Please give BJJ a try as most BJJ places offers free classes and they always have an extra clean gi that you can wear for the trial class. I will give you a very serious precautions before tryng a class or two. "Once you trained BJJ and rolled on the mats you'll never be back" .

"For The Secret That The Warrior Seeks: You Must Know That The Basic Principles Lie In The Study Of The Spirit." - Morihei Ueshiba