View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #16
jeremymcmillan
Dojo: Kiku Matsu/Chicago, IL
United_States
Re: The Kuzushi Question

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
I reject the premiss that walking or movement implies loss of balance. I can think of a number of scenarios where an act of movement maintains (prevents loss of) balance. The importance of kuzushi in the execution of technique can not be overstated but the degree can be quite subtle - I would also say that the greatest openings exploited in aikido are the result of uke trying to recover their loss of balance.
I agree with Stefan Stenudd Sensei, and also with you. How I reconcile these two explanations is that rather than just loss of balance, kuzushi can occur when Uke retains balance but ceases to maintain integrity of balance: Nage provides forces which become critical parts of Uke's balance. A crooked pillar can stand leaning against a straight one. When Uke cannot feel loss of control, but has given up some control to Nage, it's not necessary for Uke to become unstable in the sense that Uke has transitioned from a state of having balance to a state of not having any balance. Uke can remain balanced, and yet lose independence from Nage, so I picture this as transfer, not abject destruction. One leg loses the ability to stand, giving its balance to the other leg, when walking.

I also agree that movement maintains balance. Think of how movement preserves balance: movement is free from rest, but when unstable movement is constrained. Not just any movement preserves balance: certain ranges of movement are necessary to preserve balance in these situations. Nage's ki can alter the constraints within which Uke must move to preserve balance. Uke can remain balanced, but sometimes must join Nage's dance/walk.