Thread: clearinghouse
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2002, 10:34 AM   #2
mattholmes
I'm curious how many people you are talking about. How many people train in your dojo? I suppose it doesn't really matter.

In any case, I think it's important to find a dojo where you feel supported and close to the other students. I don't mean that you should be buddy-buddy; that could possibly take away from your training. However, you are learning a martial art; this means that, among other important things, you are learning how to hurt people. (I heard it put simply: "Learn to fight, not to fight.") It seems to me that the utmost trust in you training partners should be established before you let them throw you around, and before you let them attack you.

I also question, perhaps inappropriately, because you didn't mention it, your instuctor or instructors. I worry about the kind of sensei and sempai who create and support the kind of dojo that you describe.

My last rant is about you. If you, as I interpret from you post, are uncomfortable or unhappy with your dojo, why have you stayed there for six years? That's a long time.

I think your training should be, and probably is, an important piece of you life. As such, you should be careful where you get it; what you put into your cup.

Matt