Thread: Native lessons
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2002, 08:21 AM   #16
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Follow up:

Although the depth of this study is much like pursueing the Greek and Roman myths and legends, it does reflect how cultures view their existence in relation to their environment, and how the beliefs develope as a result of that society.

Part of my journey to understand the basis of each culture being absolutely correct in its beliefs of myths and legends, along with social fabric woven by religion and war, was to have comparitve guidelines that would translate to any society.

In finding the universal catalysts for each society such as natural phenonmenon in nature, I have begun to see how the words of O'Sensei do come to clarity with the his immersion in his own cultural beliefs, and pursuits of cleansing his mind to find the path of Aiki.

Bring up the Native Americans was just another comparison to the many different cultures around the world that develope and have insight that can make the words of O'Sensei come to light in your own life.

Where you cannot understand the words in your own study or understanding of one cultural belief, you might find the clarity by understanding the developement of many different people around the world.

Being a native of turtle island, North America that is, I thought in this beginning of a Golden Age of humanity those of us who are able should understand what has passed before we allow it to become a historical reference rather than a segment of our life. We are more alike in our lives as natural born natives than we would admit.

The fact that the natural inhabitants would kill each other in fashions of war, take wives from other tribes, allow the new settlers to join their tribes so that the strength of numbers would deter war from other tribes, is not unlike many of underlying principles we use in society today. Of course, we do not outright eat the white dog, or eat the livers of our enemies, but still we let loose the dogs of war when the situation warrants.

And I see no distinction in the different people who are in the armed forces of the USA. The all fight, they all serve the interest of their country, their common tribe of the United States of America.

So, in the sense that there is more to be learned in both the physical and spiritual sense, how much of what we learn in Aikido is related to the Native lessons?

I see that many of our lessons from the Chinese, and Japanese arts are at the heart of what some would call Native American fighting methods. We take the best of what works, and call it our own.

Question is, how much more can we learn from living next to a dojo without ever setting one foot in the door of that dojo?

Your Aikido journey is closer to Native Americans than you think. It may shock you to see how much they live like you, but do many of the same things that O'Sensei alludes to in his writings.

Take a look, and see if it helps you. It did me.