View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
lbb
United_States
Re: The Kuzushi Question

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
It's in this sense that I think more about my partner as a catalyst for my mismanagement, a role that can be also filled by a child's toy laying on the ground or a raised crack in a sidewalk. All these failures are a breakdown in my ability to manage my body. From this perspective, I am always seeking to remain within my own ability. Much as Messisco sensei says, "my own self" - I just don't happen to be a 6th dan aikidoka training for 50 years. It's also a key distinction between taking ukemi and being thrown. When I take ukemi, I remain in control of my body. When I am throw I lose control of my body. As I am prone to say more often, I think we need to keep our eyes on our own paper more. If I move in balance then it should prove difficult to achieve kuzushi against me. If I move with aiki than I should have impact on forces that come into contact with me.
This makes a lot of sense to me -- in fact, as I was reading your first paragraph, my thought was, "So, 'kuzushi' means 'no longer driving the bus'". Yes?