View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 08:05 PM   #66
paw
ok, I'l bite

Jun,
Quote:
Do you think, at this point in your life and experience in the martial arts, that you would be willing to accept aikido's training methods as valid?
Valid for what? A knife is a perfectly valid tool, but not a good method of transportation. A bike a great tool to use to get from point A to point B, but I wouldn't use it to spread butter on my toast.

Even if a training method is valid, is it the most effecient?

There was a program on the discovery channel about traditional chinese martial arts. It started with some shaolin temple training and ended with san shou fighter Cung Le. The techniques were the same. The shaolin temple people punched, kicked and threw just like Cung Le (and vice versa). But the training methods were vastly different.

No one can question Cung Le's success as a fighter or as a trainer of fighters. But one could argue that he's not preserving the traditions of the chinese martial arts as completely as the shaolin temple folks are. But then shaolin temple approach isn't going to produce a world class fighter as quickly as Cung Le will (if at all).

This thread:

Ron has specific goals from aikido and in my mind legitimate doubts that the training method in the dojo he's in will help him reach those goals.

Different people have different goals from aikido (or martial arts in general). Some of us have probably changed our goals over the years. I'm willing to bet if Ron had said that he wanted a more spiritual outlook from aikido this thread wouldn't have made it past a page and people would have recommended books, videos or other schools and wished him well. Instead, because he has the audacity to expect a martial art to be, well, martial, he just doesn't get it?

If I tell you that I've got the "one, true, unstoppable method of self-defense" and it's available to you in 5 lessons, I don't think you're disrespectful if you ask me for some type of proof. I also don't think you're disrespectful if you ask why it can't be taught in 3 lessons.

Dynamic training:

The Shodokan folks randori without any significant differences in injuries than other styles of aikido that don't randori (Peter, please correct me if I'm wrong). Randori can be done. It is done, even in aikido.

Regards,

Paul