View Single Post
Old 11-16-2002, 09:00 AM   #32
ronmar
Thanks for all the suggestions. I might try a bit of Tomiki aikido, it looks more like what I am after.

I guess my main problem could be that I still think of myself primarily as someone who does judo/grappling. The reason I train in other things is to attempt to gain a basic level of proficiency in all types of fighting so I am not surprised by anything. I plan to compete in mixed events. I thought aikido might be something unusual to try.

I do like aikido. I think the techniques are good. Sorry if that didn't come across in my original posts. Its just that I get frustrated. Its not that I think I am better than everyone else, I just feel that in some ways I am capable of training a little harder than I am presently allowed to. Unfortunately, people see my lack of aikido "form" and take it to mean that I am totally clueless and have to be treated with kid gloves. I do not tell them how I feel because I don't want to put people on the defensive when I am trying to learn from them. But then they get angry when I can retain my balance and not fall over. They are more pleased with my progress when I fake it, jump onto my back and slap the mat.

Similarly I know I can launch a good attack.

This also seems to cause problems with training partners because they often complain I am not "committing" to my attacks. This is unconcious on my part and is not an attempt to test them or make them look bad. Its just the way I learned to attack prior to aikido so I didn't get thrown or countered. Anyone who has trained with contact in a will do the same.

Aikido does not have live training so how do I know that which techniques will work and which will not when someone reacts in an unexpected way. ie I want to try and use some aikido techniques in mixed events, but how can I get good at them when I feel like the training I receive is not good preparation for a fight. Its a no win situation.

If there was a randori component to the class I wouldn't mind training soft when learning the techniques. But as it is people in the aikido class judge ability not on what you can actually do (randori/sparring/whatever), but on a techniques demonstration with more/less resistance. Its hard to know when to cooperate and when to resist. Those who do exactly what they are told tend to do well regardless of whether they can or cannot fight, and some of them surely can't.