Thread: Irimi Nage
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #25
kewms
Re: Irimi Nage

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
Mary Heiny sensei referred to this as "hauling sacks of potato". she didn't care much for hauling and i don't either. she also mentioned that you should be able to deliver 3 atemi in every technique. for standard irimi nage, i got 2 strikes in: deflect the attack, strike the kidney, strike the head. haven't figure out the third one yet, unless the third strike is the other hand, the one most folks grab for shoulder/collar, using ridge hand strike to the back of the head at the same time the front hand strike the temple, i.e. shear across the neck bone. or could be a hammer strike when uke falling down. luckily i am not a violent man, unless you stand between me and the foods.
Frank Doran Sensei sometimes teaches irimi nage as a series of three sword cuts: body cut on the entry, neck cut from behind, and then a kesa giri-like cut on the throw. Saotome Sensei sometimes shows it with three atemi, the last one being either an elbow strike to the chest. There are lots of variations around the same general idea.

Katherine