View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: A Curriculum for Teaching Falling Skills, Part 2

Quote:
One technique we never addressed to our satisfaction in class was how to train for the sudden forward fall that is too fast to permit a successful roll (in Aikido, think of a hard, fast ikkyo takedown; on street, slipping on ice falling forward). I did have folks practice from sitting and then from slightly higher positions, as shown in videos 6 and 7 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNsE2Sx1qrk), the proper use of hand-and-forearm as a unit, and of looking out at the horizon to project forward rather than staring down at the ground. But we all agreed that the fright factor and actual risk of injury was too great for students in this course to routinely practice this technique from a standing position.
I ran into this particular problem myself although due to an unconventional situation. My right knee is not very stable due to a meniscus injury that occured several years ago. So I tend to be moved laterally fairly easily if caught of guard. I also happe to trim horses hooves. There was a period of time a few years ago wher I had a couple of difficult horses to work on that would always manage to "hip check" me into a forward fall, while I was in the bent over (ikkyo takedow) possition with their front leg between my knees. I took quite a few hard falls in the ikkyo style which were certainly not so nice to do on pavement or gravel driveways. Then one day my body just worked it out. As the horse shoved into my left hip, I felt myself instead of resiting just allow my right knee to fold and my right leg tucked and my body spun aorund into a full back roll. Not sure how my left leg got free of the hrose's leg. I popped right back up and went back to work, much to the astonishment of the person holding the hrose.

So I think that with enough practice a body can learn how to handle the sudden forward fall and turn even that into a back roll. But ufortuatly I suspect this takes a lot longer and probably more vigerous practice than your group would be up for.

Sounds like a really nice class. Thank you for sharig the experiece.