View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 04:52 AM   #81
sorokod
United Kingdom
Re: YouTube: Kanaya Hirotaka Shihan

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
Sharpness... yes, severity... yes. Martial integrity? By what criteria are you judging the martial integrity of what's being shown in that demo? The ukes don't resist, they don't follow up their attacks, they over commit. It seems that you are equating martial integrity with the fact that Saito sensei is throwing his ukes with a lot of force.

I understand that it's a demonstration but so is what's being shown in the OP's videos. It's too bad we can't hear what Kanaya Shihan is saying; context might make the images more meaningful. In any event, both the Kanaya and Saito videos have in common: they are demonstrations and the ukes are clearly cooperating with their teachers. I think it's equally obvious that both teachers are presenting different ideas and using Aikido as a vehicle to illustrate their thoughts.

Ron
Quote:
By what criteria are you judging the martial integrity of what's being shown in that demo?
The following works for me.

In a physical conflict, the sides attempt to achieve a goal while minimising damage, this imposes constraints on what is reasonable and possible.

Having integrity is to recognise and operate within those constraints.

Quote:
I understand that it's a demonstration but so is what's being shown in the OP's videos
That is true, in the same sense that a meal at McDonalds and a meal in a Michelin stared restaurant are both meals.