View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #54
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States
Re: Which Martial Art for Kids - Aikido / Taekwondo / Karate / Judo ...

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
...but did you get a camouflage belt?
LOL! Mary, I pre-dated the inception of the 10-color system in place in the ATA now by a few years, thank goodness.... I was working on my advancement to 2nd degree when all that stuff came down the pipe from Little Rock. I got out when they got so uber-protective and started making everyone wear the head-gear with face shields, full protection down the forearms and shins and then the coverings of the hands/feet. And, on top of all that, the big, mondo chest protector that everyone has to wear now.... it's going to a boxing match wearing armor, sortof. So, that's when I shifted into Muay Thai at a pro gym, where amateurs like myself could train as well, and the hapkido, in which there were no pads. Hapkido sparring at that school was interesting, and a bit real world, but you learned control because if you blasted your buddy, he'd be out for however long and when he came back he'd be unhappy with you and return the favor. To say nothing of what the instructor would say about his bottom line. But, I digress.

Camo belts... lol... still cracks me up!

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.