View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #52
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States
Re: Which Martial Art for Kids - Aikido / Taekwondo / Karate / Judo ...

Personally, I like judo for young kids. Sport-based teaching, lots of rough-housing to burn off energy and let them compete while still learning good sportsmanship. The whole time developing a strong sense of self-esteem and self-confidence, and what seems to be a real sense of self-defense if needed. I mean, what 7 year old is really going to be intimidated by a tough-talking bully when that 7 year old "fights" with his friends an average of 10-25 times a class, standing up and on the ground rolling around?

Opinions vary, but I think judo is best for the young kids. Later on, when attention spans increase, then the formalistic striking arts (you pick one, i.e. karate styles, taekwondo, tang soo do, standing forms of jujitsu, etc.) are all good for developing self-confidence and discipline. I'd be concerned - depending on school - about the "actual ability" to defend oneself (e.g. the ATA and other TKD tournaments are NOT "fighting," IMO... I did that stuff for 20 years and learned more about a fight in 2 months of Muay Thai training, again with friends.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.