View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #25
lbb
United_States
Re: What is an "advanced technique?"

Quote:
Adam Huss wrote: View Post
Katagatame, the way I know it, is one of the major osaekomi, or hold downs, in judo. It can turn into a choke, most people do it that way, but technically its a shoulder/arm hold down like a sankakujime almost. From the video you posted of Mr. Chiba - is katagatame the pin at the end or the whole movement?
Wow, you're really asking the wrong person. I guess I would say that "katagatame" is the process of capturing the arm and then pinning? Maybe?

Quote:
Our kihon sumiotoshi is actually on the outside of uke's elbow...though the inside, or kiriude, is acceptable as well, for us. So long as our direction of movement is to a corner on an oblique angle away from uke's base of support, its all good for us.
Yeah, in my limited experience I have seen it only done on the inside, but that may be an artifact of the attacks and openings that I've seen.

Quote:
Been doing some research into rokyo. From what I gather on Youtube it just looks like we lump both movements together as gokyo. Our kihon version of gokyo is like a variation of wakigatame, which uses nage's armpit as a leverage point. But if we keep uke's arm out away from us, we still call it gokyo, so long as its a 'mixed grip' where nage's grabbing uke's wrist with a palm up grip, and creating the opposing vertical pressure differentiating it from, say, ikkyo.
Yeah, what I've seen, rokyo is in close, nage's arms are similar to katagatame, but you turn away -- and where I train, it ends with a pin and with nage basically doing a bridge on uke. Gokyo looks a lot like ikkyo, but as you say, the palm up grip on wrist. We do gokyo a lot with tanto.