View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #18
kewms
Re: Ikkyo with Small Hands

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
Katherine, knowing where you practice and how, I would have thought that a strong grip and precise hand position were mattering less and less these days. Not so?
As I said, grip strength doesn't have much to do with it.

As for hand position, it depends on what I'm trying to accomplish. If I want to demonstrate a technically accurate sankyo, then yes, I need to place my hands fairly precisely. If I just want to take the person down in a sankyo-like way, there's a bit more leeway.

Remember, all the people I normally practice with train at the same dojo I do and are working on the same things. So with people at my own level or above, I need to get most aspects of a technique right, both the visible, body/hand positioning aspects and the less visible, energetic components. With more junior people, obviously, I can get away with more.

When there's a big hand size difference, there's usually also a big strength difference. Obviously the whole idea is to use a line where the person's strength is irrelevant, but getting there does, as I said, require precision.

Katherine