View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #56
Cliff Judge
Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo
United_States
Re: Why Aikido has such strange strike defense.

Cady Goldfield made a post over on e-budo ... I am onmy phone now and pasting links is too tricky ... referring to some stuff about Sagawa that was translated and showed up on a tai chi blog. What stuck me was one passage about Sagawa dealing with karateka and another involving sword.

The karateka guys were allegedly amazed because they could not hit the man.

The sword story involved Sagawa not being struck, but cutting the attackers wrist. (Interesting caveat here in that he is said to have thrown the guy with his sword, but that is simply martial sugar IMO...and he seems to agree with me in that passage)

IMO, Jon, you arent talking about these types of things when you refer to Aiki. I don't mean to criticize your efforts by any means but you won't get to the point where you have anything to say to an unimpressed boxer or swordsman until you figure out how to develop these kinds of skills. This has nothing to do with power or being immovable IMO...but I may be wrong about that.

You can hit a boxer with a fist powered by Aiki and I am sure he'll be okay with it, he has taken lots of powerful hits in his time and understands that boxing is about exchanging lots of hits. The swordsman will simply cut you, or not, whether you have Aiki or not.

I will see if I can find the link later.