View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #37
TonyBlomert

Dojo: Big Sky Aikido, Bozeman MT
United_States
Re: What would you say to a new student?

We did a similar "new student" packet and also included a hard copy of our affiliated organization's handbook. Over the years my experience was that these documents where either ignored altogether or read once and discarded. I say this because we consistently had students ask questions that these documents addressed after they had been training at the dojo for several years. I would refer these questions first back to the packet and usually received a response "I never got that or I never read it" from the student. (We also used a new student check list so we knew that everyone got the packet along with their first dogi) I'm not saying that you shouldn't hand out a well thought out package, just that in addition to covering things in writing once that it all needs to be repeated verbally frequently. In class by the instructors, by the senior students in passing etc. If your dojo doesn't already have a web page covering some of the FAQ you should add one. Also at my present dojo, we stay in touch with the students using a Facebook group. It seems like no matter how often you hammer away on topics i.e. examination requirements, tasks needing to be done, uniform care etc. someone will always be asking the question anyway. OK there's my 2 cents, best wishes.

Tony Blomert