View Single Post
Old 11-10-2002, 08:13 PM   #11
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Most of the time, I refer to what we are doing in English, for a couple of reasons.

One is that repeating a word without the thought is like yelling at someone in a foreign language expecting them to magically understand because your voice is louder.

As far as correction, we merely repeat the technique once, then let the instructor continue correction.

What seems to work the best is the testing sheets with the techniques to be learned where the student can write remarks about what the technique is in their own thoughts.

As for me, I do it in practice a long long time before I can pronounce it in Japanese or remember the Japanese term for what ever we are practicing that day.

I do find that new students respond to thinking of the practice in English when they speak English, even if they are being instructed with Japanese terminology.

Must be some kind of thought process that allows the mind to function within the physical practice while assimulating the language ... all I know is that I would rather have the physical practice before the language so they don't get out of control and crank too hard during practice.

Words never seem to increase or decrease the level of safety in physical practice, especially in naming the technique to be practiced.

Maybe Aikido is a fancy game of Simon Sez?