View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 03:55 AM   #188
charyuop
Dojo: Ponca Aikikai
United_States
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
I'm fairly familiar with Saotome, he gave me my first couple of dan ranks - but except for a weekend when he passed through Japan ten years ago I haven't really had any contact with him since the last '80's.

In any case, I've certainly never said that pain is not Aikido. What I said is that the pain compliance part is:

a) Very easy.
b) Not very interesting, mainly because of (a).
c) Done by every store front martial arts kids class, which also contributes a bit to (b).

The non-painful variant that Shioda talks about is operating along some different lines, IMO. A number of people seem to think that this is a high level (maybe too high a level) thing - but that would just make it more interesting, to me.

I'm not particularly concerned about causing anybody pain, it just doesn't interest me much.

On a purely practical level, hit 'em with a two-by-four. It always works, is eminently practical, and can be done by just about anybody - which covers most of the arguments for focusing on the pain compliance aspects of nikyo.

FWIW...

Best,

Chris
Oh ok. You are looking for an alternate way to do nikkyo, it's ok. I assume at different levels, but we are all looking into improving our skills.
But I thought the OP question was more if a nikkyo has to hurt. I might have misunderstood the question.