View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 AM   #28
Patrick Crogan
Dojo: Seishinkan Bristol
United Kingdom
Re: The History of Aikido in Australia?

Daniel (hey man!),
The Seminar with Oshima Sensei (what that man doesn't know about sankyo is probably not worth knowing :-) was organised by Joe Pellin of Aikido Kenkyukai, hosted by Gianni Zandal's dojo in Unley (an Aikikai dojo with direct link to Kumano Juku dojo in Japan; Gianni was a deshi there for a time of (the late) Hikitsuchi Shihan) and attended by various folks. That's the way things went when we were all there. Each group (Yuishinkai, our Aikikai affiliated dojo, Gianni's) would bring their visitors out and we would each support the other's Gasshuku.

As someone with many years in Aikikai Australia (up to sandan) and now quite a few out, this Adelaide scene (to whom Aikikai Aust were always welcome officially, and also informally invited to through old contacts and friends) was a brilliant Aikido community to be part of. It was very unlike the Aikikai Aust 'philosophy' of one 'national direction', not diluting your development with a 'smorgasboard' approach to Aikido learning, the importance of personal connexion to the founder of the group -- (the late) Sugano Shihan -- despite the fact he lived in another country and visited twice a year, etc. These were some of the things I recall from documents and numerous speeches about what were core values for the group. Curiously, I was a dinner guest of Sugano sensei in Belgium once many years ago and I marked his words about how important it was for people to seek out all they could about Aikido and test it against their experience; they were all the more striking to my ears as a young shodan freshly minted from the Aikikai Australia system....

At least that's how it was back then in AA--people tell me things have moved on somewhat since and I have nothing to go on to test that. Whatever one thinks of it, if one went round all the now established alternative Aikikai affiliated dojos in Australia you would find many have ex-Aikikai Aust teachers and senior students. It's inevitable to a degree that people find differences, and then different pathways. In Australia, perhaps, we have AA to thank for generating such a variety of dojos and associations that are very often networking to share their seminars etc as in the Adelaide scene I was so happy to be part of. It would be great if they are opening up somewhat and allowing their students to seek other insights and angles as part of their development. I have great respect for many of the people I trained with and learnt from in AA, above all the superb, fluent Aikido of Sugano Shihan.

Quote:
Daniel James wrote: View Post
Hi Ben, all,
Here are a few organisations i've collated over the years might be a bit dated though
http://www.aikidorepublic.com/aikido-australia

FWIW some aikido orgs are more closed than open, some that were quite closed are now more open and vice versa over time. I have found though that regardless of organisation budo people serious about getting better end up congregating and so there are all these ura kind of relationships between individuals that transcend organisations.

Hopefully what is happening in the USA (which is perhaps generationally ahead in aikido organisations) might be come more the norm here. Certainly when looking at smaller eco systems there is a lot of support for when a teacher comes out from Japan (or elsewhere) to visit them and being only 8hrs from Japan .

I went to a seminar in Adelaide (back when it had a Yuishinkai dojo there run by a good friend) and witnessed a delightful budo network and to this day I'm not sure who organised the seminar http://www.aikidorepublic.com/trip-a...ikido-adelaide

best to all and look forward to what you come up with
dan