View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #42
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Banned from Aikido...

Quote:
John Robinson wrote: View Post
...sometimes in moments of rage i say things i later come to regret.
John, therein lies one potentially important avenue to work on. Having known people who had a hard time expressing their anger in a way that others could handle, I know it can be frustrating to deal with the responses. It can quickly spiral out of control.
From what I've been taught about Aikido, one view is that it is ultimately about self-correction. As a general principle, you start by working on yourself, then progress out from there. I think the founder said something to the effect of, "first work on yourself, then your household, then your country, etc." Again, it's just a general principle, but the idea is that whatever our personal situation is, it will affect everything around it and that by working on that starting point, our situations can gradually get better. The martial art aspect is there to serve as a catalyst for building yourself into as capable an individual as possible. It's certainly a central role, don't get me wrong, but if you think your actions are shaping things in a way that don't fit your goals, that's the first place to start your training...at least, for whatever it's worth, that's how I tend to think of things.
Good luck and good training!

Gambarimashyo!