View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #37
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Re: Teacher OKs "Avoid[ing] touching females on religious grounds"

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Individual rights are not accommodated, but are honored in the United States (at least philosophically). This man has an unrestricted freedom of religion that Lynn and I served in the same time and place to protect. While his right must be protected, it does not mean that anyone else can be required to adopt its requirements.

I see this situation differently than a situation where someone has been brutalized and traumatized and needs time to adjust. Specifically, I'm thinking of the female rape victim or similar. I would focus on helping her build her own comfort and courage over time. This just seems so much different than someone who had no choice in his or her circumstances.

The "solution" found doesn't meet my muster as rational, logical or reasonable.

I now step down from my soapbox.
We fought for people to have the right to stand-up shout-out and protest the action that gave them that right that they now feel entitled to.

I am always happy to hear people stand-up and speak-out, even if I don't agree with them. It sorta means it was all worth it.

We too have a right to the soap-box, please stand-tall never stand-down.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!