View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #61
Ethan Weisgard
Dojo: Copenhagen Aiki Shuren Dojo
Denmark
Re: Belts sticking out

I like the question :-)
I remember in Iwama that Saito Sensei was not happy with the people coming from other dojos with their belts sticking out.
I have also heard Isoyama Sensei speak about matters concerning proper dojo attire. He is very strict about not having your sleeves rolled up, making sure that your hakama straps do not hang down in front and in general making sure that you are properly dressed. He makes a point about if you buy a suit, you make sure to have it fit so that the length of the sleeves is correct, the pants' length fits as well and so on. He says that your aikido apparel should be considered in the same manner.
Now in Denmark, the other large group of dojos is in the Nishio Sensei lineage, and Nishio Sensei wore his belt with the ends out - as someone posted a picture of. This group abides by the traditions that Nishio Sensei stood for, and that is the way it should be. To each his own. I believe you should follow the guidelines of your Sensei, just as in regard to everything else, be it technique, reigi etc.

Now, how about the question of the camouflague hakamas... ;-)