Old 12-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Cliff Judge
Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo
United_States
Re: Presence of Aikido in Krav Maga?

Quote:
Ben White wrote: View Post
Greetings All,

I have been studying the formation of Krav Maga, What I have learnt is that it was created by Imi Litchtenfeld who was both a boxer and a wrestler. Following the end of WW2 and the creation of the nation of Israel, Imi continued to develop Krav with Aikido, with the help of his top student Eli Avikzar, Eli was the first person to ever be granted a black belt in Krav Maga and he was also a black belt in Aikido as was the recipient of the second black belt in Krav Maga Raphy Elrissi.

I have come across this video which features some Krav Maga done at the top level and I would like to try and examine some of it with the assistance of some qualified Aikido people to cast their eye over it to see if you can see the lineage of Aikido in Krav or not? Clearly there is going to be thousands of different moves and so forth and you will never capture as good a sample as you might like in any given video, yet I did think that this one was reasonably representative of some of the different types of moves in Krav, especially around the weapon disarms towards the end of the clip.

Please feel welcome to share your thoughts good bad or indifferent, I have trained in Krav before but have chosen Aikido for various reasons, none of which reflect badly on Krav which I still enjoy, I just find that Aikido is a far better fit for me where I am at the moment.

http://youtu.be/IjmBPFPTq-g
There was a straight-in iriminage in that clip, that was most likely from Aikido.