View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Krystal Locke
United_States
Re: Empty Space, Soo and the The Word

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
I would guess the sphere was sphere shaped.

You're welcome.
And made out of Aluminom-nom-nom. If it were a hollow sphere, I wonder how they milled it.

This seems to be a matter of Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra. It is going to take a LONG time to get to Gilgamesh and Enkidu at Uruk (Oh, now that is funny on a couple levels, actually, as is the name of the planet Picard and Dathon were stuck on.), and even when we do, we actually still wont be communicating, at least not through the metaphors themselves. Picard didn't and could not have a clue about what Dathon was saying until he spent a shitload of time connecting a meaning-free repeated phrase to a real, boots on the ground situation. Without Dathon making the correspondence between what was happening in the moment and the contentless phrase apparent by repeated direct, objective description, Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra would have never meant anything to Picard.

Metaphor is not as efficient a language as a descriptive, objective language is. Metaphor is far too imprecise, and is necessarily based on a hugely shared history, mythology, and experience. It only works as a primary communication device if the people involved already know, understand, and have a closely related experience with the metaphor. Only then can the metaphor become a definition or a symbol for a pre-existing definition. We are not all Tamarians.

Krystal Locke and kfa4303 doing aikido.

Last edited by Krystal Locke : 12-12-2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: I felt like it.