View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #22
Dalaran1991
France
Re: The uke/nage paradigm

Quote:
Bien Nguyen wrote: View Post
Long, wouldn't that training environment turns one into a passive aggressive person after a few years? Maybe the 3 different uke just taught you 3 different ways of doing iriminage my two cents
Maybe yes, if that's actually a working way to do iriminage. It's not the act itself that bothers me, it's the attitude. When in Virginia I trained exclusively with police officers, the lowest of whom is shodan. Yet whenever I do a technique on them they follow through very nicely, but they still give small hints if something is wrong. For example if I do a bad ikkyo, after I put them down they would rise a little, indicating that my technique isn't tight enough, but then they still take the fall.

And after that I always ask them what could be improved. This time they would do the technique like I did and tell me to kaeshi out of "my" technique. Basically they let me learn on my own. In this way I learned substantially: what was wrong with my techniques, and how to do kaeshi waza. The ambiance is also very lighthearted and brotherly, instead of confrontational "my way is better than yours"

These are all middle-age people though, so I do think the problem I encounter is a maturity issue. In my current dojo I have a very good time with the older people. All the people I described earlier are in their 20s.

Anyway, I think I have sidetracked the thread for long enough. Let people return to good discussion on the role of uke/tori.

Last edited by Dalaran1991 : 12-05-2013 at 11:29 AM.