View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #48
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Biomechanics of simple throwing

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
I think as this conversation develops, it may be worthwhile to identify some elements that actually precede what we would consider "aikido" instruction. For example, I view kuzushi as a prerequisite to aikido; that is, I cannot execute an aikido through unless I have kuzushi. Morso, if I have kusushi I can execute a number of throws, including aikido throws. So for me, kuzushi is what I would define as a pre-aikido curriculum. I think sometimes we become possessive of these pre-requisite skills because other arts can "do them" (and often times do them better).

I think this outlines:
1. A basic curriculum in which there is a right and a wrong, and a progression of educational development.
2. A burden of development and an expectation of performance.
I assume you meant "throw" not "through."

The problem with this is that aiki is not only expressed in throws; it may not even be best expressed in throws. And aikido is not relegated to throwing techniques. I suppose if you do not have a good weapons practice this may be harder to discern.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki