View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #70
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: How to deal with aggressive, non-compliant attackers? And discussion on atemi.

The problem is that very few people take the time to really understand the dynamics of knives. We have learned most of our "customs" courtesy of Kali/Escrima which I think is very good stuff, but primarily based on a dueling culture. This paradigm seems to perpetuate our martial cultures.

The issue we have, which I believe is aptly illustrated in the 11 second video is that when the knife is revealed, we are already way behind the power curve. we must first process that the knife is there, orient on it then decide what action we need to take. That is only our side of the fight. Our opponent has already decided, in most cases, his action and is employing it.

The only exception may be if we take pre-emptive action or maybe he has shown his cards and is waving it around foolishly with no real initial intent to use it other than to wield power or something. In those cases, yes, maybe we can enter first (act) before he does and then we can establish some sort of control, which could appropriately lead to a kote gaeshi which is an excellent control technique for a knife. provided that we have already off balanced and have some sort of physical control of our opponents balance or center prior to that technique.

I am not a fan of kote gaeshi as a primary control mechanism. That is, as a technique that relies on timing our grab, much of what I saw in the videos that Logan posted. IMO, that only works in a compliant of semi-compliant environment where two people are essentially dueling.

In aikido terms, I think irimi to be important. That is, you enter, disrupt and control his center, then control the weapon, and disarm. Iriminage I think is a very good thing for this, if it is done correctly. (or aspect/principles of it.

Our emotions tell us to control the weapon first. I personally believe the reality...from my training experience....demonstrates that we have already lost that battle and the damage we will receive has already happened before it happens. We must emotionally let go of that, and disrupt the whole of his attack by gaining control of the person, then the weapon. It is difficult to time the weapon and will most likely put you in a negative vortex trying to reach for it.

The video shows the victim heading to the fetal position...we do not want that...it is certain death. However, when your senses are overwhelmed by the stimulus of the attack (Observation/Orientation phase)...this is exactly what we will do if we are not trained and conditioned properly to handle a violent and overwhelming attack.

It is not easy to accept this, which is why I believe most people practice the way they do. Everybody wants a solution to a horrible problem and psychologically we like to revise bad stories to have happy endings. This is my theory why we train so incorrectly when it comes to edged weapons.

Hope this helps!