View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #45
Basia Halliop
Canada
Re: YouTube: Christian Tissier at 2013 World Combat Games

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Basia,
Refer to the earlier video of Chiba Sensei posted recently for my view of a martial approach. What do you mean by an non descriptive term?I would have thought I explained exactly what I meant.Need any further clarification of what I consider martial having hopefully viewed the vid?? Cheers, Joe.
You mean the one where he slaps the uke who left himself open? So one aspect of 'martial' would be taking advantage of mistakes that your partner makes? Although this does not always apply in a planned demo of kata, IMO, unless you make intentional mistakes. Though sometimes the opportunity comes up by chance, I guess.

I don't find 'martial' to be descriptive. It's more a goal or a value than a description of the actual movement or interaction, and everyone seems to have a different opinion on what 'martial' actual is in terms of techniques, training methods, positioning, what to do and what not to do, etc.

When I say descriptive, I find more specific things far more descriptive, like 'keeping uke's centre of gravity physically unbalanced' or 'using atemi when the partner leaves an opening to do so', or 'uke doing kaeshi waza every time they can rather than doing planned kata', or 'applying pins more quickly,' or 'uke attacking without overextending or physically unbalancing their body', etc. Not necessarily saying those things are my own definition of martial, by the way, just that they're examples of phrases I find more descriptive.