View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #54
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: How to deal with aggressive, non-compliant attackers? And discussion on atemi.

Yes David it does. I just spent a wonderful evening in Dakar Senegal introducing them to BJJ. What is interesting is it is a different experience than normal for me. I typically do not get asked to go to Judo schools in the west to teach ne waza. However, in Dakar, the are very open to learning and exposing themselves to new and different methods/techniques apparently.

I spent some time explaining that Jiu Jitsu is not different than Judo that it is the same...only the rules and assumptions are sometimes different, which causes us to approach our training differently.

I did not teach them jiu jitsu from a sport BJJ perspective, but ne waza that would be very useful to them in a Judo competition, but also is based on solid foundations of self defense.

So we spent time on some basics and, of course, did not cover things like the 50/50 guard, berimbolo, inverted guard on dela riva guard, which are all great things, but things I don't consider foundational.

thanks for you thoughts!