View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States
Re: I Don't Care That Much

Quote:
Geoff Byers wrote: View Post
You're telling a good number of people that something that is very important to them isn't that important to you. Don't be surprised when some people's reactions to that aren't all smiles and sunshine.
I am a little surprised; I think this is a mindset that is pretty rare in activities other than the martial arts. I don't think Kobe Bryant disparages the guys who play basketball a couple times a week at the YMCA. I don't think Eric Clapton gets angry at the guys who strum chords around the campfire. I don't think Bob Woodward has a problem with the average blogger.

In the martial arts, though, I think there are a lot of people who, perhaps because of the pseudoreligious way some martial arts are taught, come to imagine that their activity is objectively, universally important rather than just important to them. And once that illusion has a hold of you, it starts to seem reasonable to insist that everyone value your particular activity exactly the same way you do.

I like aikido. It's fun, it's interesting, it's challenging, it's a good workout, and it has taught me a lot, including things that apply to life outside the dojo. I acknowledge that it requires time and effort. A select few take aikido further than that, and that's cool. I just take issue with the ones who think I need to be exactly like them.

Last edited by OwlMatt : 11-09-2013 at 01:27 PM.