View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #28
JW

Re: How to deal with aggressive, non-compliant attackers? And discussion on atemi.

Quote:
Logan Light wrote: View Post
Anyone on the streets is more than likely going to throw a strike if both their wrists aren't tied up or if they aren't in the clinch.
And Ledyard sensei has written about that a lot too, not just in that atemi article above. (an examle here) Until the range is closed up by one of the practitioners, striking is a basic "martial language" and anything else that happens must be in the context of the possibility of strikes. I don't know any way to work with this than to train striking.
When the range gets closed up (as discussed in previous posts) then of course the "martial language" changes.. but we can't pretend striking isn't primary before the range is closed.

Quote:
That's why I think you have to be decisive in any sort of lock and not try to fight it out too much but still, it's a good start.
True but I think it is important to think about the huge issues that one is facing before the lock is even on the table (relative position of you and the attacker, who has advantage, etc). Lots of stuff should come first I think, like kuzushi of the attacker-- lock comes later. "Going for the lock" just doesn't seem right (more likely to get you beat on by the guy who is not thinking so specifically). The other posters have all talked about this here too.

Quote:
Anyways, back on topic. Me and my buddy were boxing the other day. We decided to do a drill where he was just striking (his style is primarily boxing) and I was defending. The whole time I was looking to tenkan and get to his side but if you don't have someone overly committed or someone who has good footwork, it's next to impossible for me. I was also gonna try to irimi and tie up but even then, thats difficult when they're throwing straights.
I was playing with that too, I really think there has to be a back-and-forth. You don't tenkan or irimi as a response to something uke does. Instead, if you are both in striking range (just for example), each person has to be feeling like the other will strike. Through that interaction, entering may happen but it is in the context of (in the case you described) both people striking or being able to strike. I mean, through your expression of striking, you create irimi. Well, this is hard to verbalize, but I just mean you are expressing yourself through striking when the two of you are striking. Rather than, "when he strikes I will do this big movement, devoid of strikes or the threat of strikes, in response to that." Of course, body movement is critically involved in striking, so that is where you can find the irimi movement.

Last edited by JW : 11-05-2013 at 11:57 PM.