Sometimes fate wins
I am a science fiction fan so reading a good story might start me doing a lot of things.
The sequence of events was:
- Read the book "Helm", by Steven Gould. I like his other books, too.
- Looked in the aikido section of the local public library and found a few technique-related books. I left them alone.
- Also found "Aikido in America" by John Stone at the library. I read this book because it looked (and was) interesting.
- Noticed after finishing the book that the author (at publication time) was in Madison, Wisconsin where I still live.
- Did a web search and found that John Stone Sensei has an active dojo in Madison (Aikido of Madison) and that it was about two blocks from my house.
- Found that the dojo was starting a beginner course in the next month.
At this point I figured out that perhaps fate was guiding me. It has been about 9 months now and I am preparing for my first test.