View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #19
TokyoZeplin
Dojo: Seishinkan Dojo
Denmark
Re: My forum pet peeve: "I never got in a fight - the ultimate self-defense!"

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
I may be in a minority of one when I state that this type of blog bores me stiff.The endless comments about whether or not aikido is a martial art and is effective is for me a waste of time.
That's good to know! In the future, you might want to read the post before commenting though.
First line, third paragraph from the bottom:
"This is not a matter of Aikido being martially effective or not. Nor do I have anything against people that train Aikido, or any Martial Art, or anything in general, purely for the philosophical or spiritual benefits that they may feel they gain from it."
Heck, as far as I can tell, you're the first person in this thread, to even bring up the "is Aikido effective" question.

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
i would rather spend my valuable time acquiring the skills to defuse any incident which could escalate into violence. Surely this is a better idea than getting into a situation whereby either you or the other party might get seriously injured or worse?
As one of my good friends once said to me: "It's fantastic that you want to live in peace, and never hurt anyone. But not everyone else is like that."
(Physical) Self-defense is obviously trained for situations where de-escalation is not possible. You can't talk your way out of every single situation. I'm sure that training in verbal de-escalation would be (90% of the time) an utter waste of time in rape prevention, as an example.

Others have made fantastic posts here, sadly I'm a bit short on time right now, but I'll hopefully get to reply to a few others later today, or tomorrow