View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
Keith Larman
United_States
Re: My forum pet peeve: "I never got in a fight - the ultimate self-defense!"

Well, there are those who would argue that Aikido shouldn't be considered a martial art because of the whole philosophy, deescalation aspect.

The problem with definitions is that they are ultimately something imposed on a messy, complicated world. In some cases things can be easily defined. In others, well, not so easy. Not so solid. Not so simple.

But then again this discussion has been had 1000 times already. You're not the first to say it and certainly won't be the last. Suffice to say a lot of people have a lot of opinions and most of them aren't even starting with the same definitions you so kindly provided. So just imagine how far afield the discussion tends to roam.

All that said I'll go back to counting angels on this head of a pin. That's one, two, thuh-reeeeee....

Seriously, we could talk about this for days on end with nobody being happy and no conclusion to be reached. Sure, it's a martial art for some folk. Sure, some are more flowery than others. But when most can't even agree as to what Aikido "is", well, best of luck.

How about just saying "It's complicated." That works for me.