View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
TokyoZeplin
Dojo: Seishinkan Dojo
Denmark
Re: My forum pet peeve: "I never got in a fight - the ultimate self-defense!"

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
of course we can. we made up new definitions all the time. that's why we have dictionary.
There you go, changing the question to fit what you want it to mean, so you can go and defend it using the definitions you want, instead of going by what was clearly the actual intended meaning of it.
You're discussing the changing of words over time. I'm clearly discussing the usage of words in present time.
And no, you can't just make up a new meaning of a word, and say that's now how it works. That shows a clear misunderstanding on your part, on how language works, and what words are actually added to dictionaries.

Good on you though, to completely and utterly disregard the point (which was mentioned several times) throughout the post.

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
also, you mentioned "originally intended". you were the founder?
Perhaps it was poorly written on my part, but I thought it was obvious that I was referring to the "originally intended" question posted in those threads? I thought that was clear, as I never mentioned the foundations of Aikido, O Sensei, or anything else like it at any point up until then.

Quote:
Paul Funnell wrote: View Post
As for the "never got in a fight therefore my SD works" I have some sympathy; any good SD course will have a lot of stuff about risk avoidance, attitude, awareness, posture, gait, body language, eye contact, etc. etc. not least since the return on investment of time on this stuff is much higher than it is on learning a few basic escapes, strikes, etc. If you need to be martially/street effective as quickly as possible because you're going into a high risk environment then you should have access to the appropriate professional training e.g. armed forces, police, prison guard, etc.
I'm not sure if you're just responding casually with your own random thoughts here, or if that was meant as a reply to my post. If it was meant as a reply to me, what exactly are you replying to?

Quote:
Paul Funnell wrote: View Post
I see no problem with applying principles found in aikido such as blending with incoming energy, redirecting it to a harmonious outcome, etc. to one's working or domestic life, if people find that useful and relevant and it helps the world to be a more peaceful place then great.
Are your purposefully disregarding my last few paragraphs, or did you just not finish reading my post? Or am I missing something here?