View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
PaulF
United Kingdom
Re: My forum pet peeve: "I never got in a fight - the ultimate self-defense!"

Yep, as Phi says, the meaning of language is defined by usage, dictionaries come along after the event. Witness the recent inclusion of "literally" in the OED when used in a figurative/metaphorical sense e.g. "seeing the demo of those skills literally blew me away". We may not like it but that's tough cos it's how this stuff works, if enough people use the language the "wrong" way it ceases to be wrong.

As for the "never got in a fight therefore my SD works" I have some sympathy; any good SD course will have a lot of stuff about risk avoidance, attitude, awareness, posture, gait, body language, eye contact, etc. etc. not least since the return on investment of time on this stuff is much higher than it is on learning a few basic escapes, strikes, etc. If you need to be martially/street effective as quickly as possible because you're going into a high risk environment then you should have access to the appropriate professional training e.g. armed forces, police, prison guard, etc.

On the other hand if you want to go looking for a fight to test your skills that's easy enough to achieve, in this country you just hang around town/city centres after the pubs close and act like a dick.

I see no problem with applying principles found in aikido such as blending with incoming energy, redirecting it to a harmonious outcome, etc. to one's working or domestic life, if people find that useful and relevant and it helps the world to be a more peaceful place then great.