View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #60
RonRagusa
United_States
Re: "IP/IT/IS" vs technique?

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
The difference is that the IS/IP/Aiki work gives you a level of freedom that Aikido without these skills does not have.
Aikido without Ki. And I agree, Aikido without Ki does restrict my freedom of action when interacting with uke.

Quote:
If I use timing, blending, and flow (in addition to joint locks and similar mechanical techniques) I'm very much constrained by what uke is doing.
What you see as constraint, I see as opportunity to find creative and effective ways of interacting with uke using the tools at my disposal. Timing, blending and flow are some of the tools that help give Aikido its form. Ki gives Aikido its substance (in a manner of speaking).

Quote:
If uke is unbalanced as soon as he/she touches me, and can't put force into me with a strike or a grab, I can pretty much do what I like.
That sentence pretty much sums up the purpose of Ki development. When I have mind and body coordinated I'm in my strongest and most dependable state. Why would I want to wait to be grabbed or struck to take uke's balance? Allowing uke to have hands on access to me helps with strengthening mind/body coordination in practice but not terribly practical "in the field". My work in this area continues to center on unbalancing uke before being grabbed or struck. I find timing, blending and flow (among others) to be effective tools, if applied with mind/body coordination, to achieve that end.

Ron