View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #27
lbb
United_States
Re: changing aikido styles (rant)

Quote:
Oisin Bourke wrote: View Post
Well in my case,I managed with emotional support, hardly unusual from a partner, now, is it?. Anyway, I know plenty who did "the move" on their own. In any event, we all managed to get by on our own steam, not by freeloading, as you basically stated.
Do you always see things in such a binary fashion? Only with such a view could you claim that I "basically stated" that you were "freeloading".

And yes, emotional support from a partner is "hardly unusual". I'm still wondering if your partner moved to another continent with you, and what she/he gave up to do so. I have no wish to particularize this to your situation, but you interjected yourself into the discussion with a set of claims that I can't address without particulars. Perhaps your partner gave up a career, educational path, a community with important amenities (for example, good educational facilities, decent access to child-care, etc.) or proximity to friends and family. Or perhaps your partner stayed behind and was deprived of your presence. You may disagree, but I think that those things are substantial -- and such a supportive partner is a substantial and valuable resource that not everyone has.

Quote:
As for belittling, well, yes, you did.
How? Give specifics.

Quote:
You didn't address Szcepan directly when making this assertion,
Yes I did. I quoted him and I was speaking to him.

Quote:
you decided to take a broad sweep at anyone who had made the effort to move long distances to pursue their training.
You are not a mind-reader. If you try to tell me what I "decided", you'll just be wrong.

Quote:
And when I called you on this, you accuse me of getting in a huff?
I stand corrected. I thought you were getting in a huff; now I see that instead, you're trying to pick a fight.